- Degree Required: 4 year ABET accredited BSEE or equivalent
- Two (2) or more years of experience in the high voltage substation design field.
- Power Systems Engineering Background.
- Documented direct experience with high voltage substation design (15kV through 500kV) activities such as preparing one line diagrams, three line diagrams, AC/DC schematics and wiring diagrams, physical layouts, electrical elevations, plans (foundation, grounding, and raceway), and bills of materials including selection of non-standard equipment, writing equipment specifications, and assisting with procurement, etc.
- Knowledge of substation physical equipment
- Knowledge of electrical engineering practices and principles applied to substation design and construction
- Knowledge of Protection and Controls design
- Capable of developing detailed construction documents and drawings based on concepts, verbal direction and/or sketches.
- Ability to interpret and apply standards including IEEE, IEC, NESC, and client standards.
- Experience with managing documents for large construction projects.
- Ability to prioritize work and manage multiple assignments under budget and time constraints.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills with the ability to work and communicate effectively with team members, clients and management teams across different geographical locations and time zones.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated technical writing and reporting skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications.
Valued but not required:
- Experience in reviewing design drawings created by others (QA/QC)
- PE licensure in at least 1 state with ability to obtain licensure in additional states
- NCEES Records
- SCADA applications
- Substation Grounding Analysis to include proficiency with CDEGS a plus
- Proficiency in performing relay settings calculations and studies a plus
- Proficiency with SKM, CAPE, or Aspen a plus
- Proficiency with CAD software (Microstation and AutoCAD)
- Project scheduling
- Financial management (Project budgets)
- Consulting experience
- Construction experience
- Substation inspection and documentation experience to include quality control during construction
- Experience with the power system calculations (AC panel sizing, DC panel and battery sizing, Voltage Drop, Cable Sizing, Arrester Selection)
NV5 offers a complete and competitive benefits package.
NV5 provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. NV5 complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.